Lettuce not forget that it’s the zesty touches that make a salad truly memorable. Chop Shop Casual Urban Eatery dishes out a recipe to transform your greens from simple to stellar.
“Don’t be afraid to add more oil or water when making a vinaigrette to adjust thickness. Xanthan gum is our great secret ingredient at Chop Shop Casual Urban Eatery, giving a thicker consistency to our vinaigrettes—a very little goes a long way!”—Chef Clint Wangsnes, owner, Chop Shop Casual Urban Eatery
Grapefruit Sesame Vinaigrette
- 1 cone piloncillo (3 Tbsp. brown sugar could be substituted)
- ¾ cup grapefruit juice
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 shallot
- 1 Tbsp. Sriracha
- 2 oz. pickled ginger (sushi style, natural sugar is best)
- ½ oz. fresh ginger (peeled and chopped)
- 1½ Tbsp. sea salt
- 1½ Tbsp. fresh cracked pepper
- ½ cup sesame oil
- 1 cup light olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup green onion (thinly sliced)Print Recipe
- Soak 1 cone piloncillo in ¾ cup grapefruit juice and ½ cup white wine vinegar while prepping all other ingredients.
- Add 1 shallot, 1 Tbsp. Sriracha, 2 oz. pickled ginger, ½ oz. fresh ginger, 1½ Tbsp. sea salt, and 1½ Tbsp. fresh cracked pepper to a blender and blend until well incorporated.
- Slowly add ½ cup sesame oil and 1 cup light olive oil until thick.
- Lastly, pulse in ¼ cup chopped cilantro and ¼ cup green onion.
Find two more recipes from Chop Shop, for their Champagne Vinaigrette and White Balsamic Vinaigrette, in our May 2023 issue.